Kia ora! This guide is informed by years of first-hand experience, customer feedback and FAQs about weighted blankets!
It is always our pleasure to talk with you if you have questions that are not answered here, get in touch with us
For information about shipping, returns, materials and care instructions see our FAQ page.
How Do Weighted Blankets Work?
The calming benefits of our blanket's gentle pressure over the body is gounded in the science of Deep Touch Pressure Therapy (DTP).
Like a hug, swaddle, or cosy cocoon, DTP switches the nervous system out of 'fight or flight' mode and into its 'rest and digest' mode. In this state, the parasympathetic nervous system sends signals to your brain that you are safe, and it can relax and rest. When your mind and body are at ease, cortisol levels (stress & anxiety) drop, and melatonin and seratonin rise, promoting deeper, longer sleep.
What Are The Benefits Of Weighted Blankets?
Weighted blankets are best known for their ability to lower stress and anxiety and increase sleep quality, but they are also effective in many other areas including:
1. Reduces anxiety and stress
2. Eases insomnia and brings better sleep
3. Alleviates symptoms of Autism in children and adults
4. Pain relief
5. Helps maintain consistent body temperature through the night, fighting night sweats and and hot flashes
6. Helps with Restless Leg Syndrome
7. Reduces nighttime movement
8. Helps with PTSD
9. Promotes focus and attention in ADHD
10. Improves mood
11. Fights fibromyalgia
What Size And Weight Weighted Blanket Is Right For Me?
Take The Quiz to find out the best weight and size for your individual sleeping needs.
Quick guide to selecting weight:
Choose a weight that is roughly 10% of your body weight - (for example, body weights from 50kg - 80kg can choose a 7kg blanket, body weights over 80kg can choose 9kg+). However this ultimately comes down to personal preference and we are happy to swap weights for you if you wish to exchange for a heavier/lighter blanket.
Groundd has 4 weights:
- 4.5kg - Comes in Small Single size
- 7kg - Comes in Small Single size & Double/Queen size
- 9kg - Comes in Double/Queen size and King/Superking size
- 11kg - Comes in Queen/King size and King/Superking size
A note about weighted blanket sizes:
To get the most benefits from sleeping with weight, weighted blankets are designed to be concentrated over your body, rather than your bed. So, if possible, we recommend using 1 blanket per person and to select the best size for your sleeping needs rather than for your bed size.
As the size of a weighted blanket increases, the weight is spread over a larger area, resulting in a lighter feel. Conversely, a smaller size will make it feel heavier. Therefore, the 9kg/11kg Superking weighted blanket will feel similar to the 7kg/9kg Queen blanket when used for sleeping.
Groundd has 4 sizes:
- Small Single, comes in 4.5kg & 7kg weights- Suitable for children and smaller adults that will be using their blanket individually
- Double/Queen, comes in 7kg & 9kg weights - Most popular size, suitable for most sized adults that will be using their blanket individually. This size will just cover a queen bed.
- Queen/King, comes in 11kg weight - Large size, suitable for 1-2 adults, or anyone who wants their blanket to cover their bed, up to a King size. This size will just cover a king bed.
- King/Superking, comes in 9kg & 11kg weights- Our Largest size, roomy for 1or 2 adults, or anyone who wants their blanket to fully cover their bed, up to a Super-King size. This size will slighly overhang on a superking bed.
Do I need to purchase a Groundd Cover?
We recommend a Groundd Cover for the following reasons:
- Your duvet cover is not a good replacement for a Groundd cover as:
- Groundd cover is made of bamboo lyocell, an incredibly eco-friendly, luxurious and temperature-regulating material. The additional layers are necessary to make the blanket suitable for year round use and is required for the cooler months.
- Groundd cover protects your weighted blanket and is easily washable, softening with every wash.
How do I use a weighted blanket?
Sleep: Use it just like a duvet!
If using other blankets (for warmth), layer them on top of the weighted blanket so the weighted blanket is the closest layer to your body for maximum benefits. If you are a very hot sleeper, try it without the cover on.
Relieve Stress: "Wear" the weighted blanket around your back and shoulders to relieve tension in the neck and shoulders from anxiety, stress, trauma and more.
Are Weighted Blankets too hot or too cold?
Maintaining a comfortable body temperature throughout the night is crucial for quality sleep. However, many weighted blankets (and traditional bedding for that matter) trap body heat, causing overheating and leading to disrupted, uncomfortable sleep.
Groundd weighted blankets have been specifically designed to regulate body temperature. So as your body temperature naturally rises and falls throughout the night, our blanket will allow excess heat to excape while reamining cosy when your temperature falls back down.
Our blanket is constructed with high quality breathable materials in temperature regulating layers and is designed for year round use.
Is A Weighted Blanket Right For Me?
You're not alone if you haven't tried a weighted blanket before and are not sure if its right for you.
Ask yourself- Do you like the idea of weight on you- like crawling under a pile of heavy blankets in the winter?
Weighted blankets may not be suitable for people with:
- Joint sensitivity
- Chronic respiratory or circultory issues
- Very young or frail elderly people who may have difficulty getting out from under it
If in doubt, please consult your doctor before trying a weighted blanket.
Are Weighted Blankets Good For Kids?
Many children get some pretty incredible results from weighted blankets. In fact, weighted blankets were first developed my mums of children with Autism to help them calm down when overstimulated and sleep better.
We get the most heartwarming feedback from families about how our blankets have helped their little ones get the sleep they need! If shopping for a kid, you may be able to relate to parts of the stories we've shared here-
How Do I Care For A Weighted Blanket?
Groundd weighted blankets can be hand washed:
- Dissolve detergent in warm water before washing and air dry.
- Hang to dry in indirect sunlight.
- Do not iron, tumble dry or dry clean.
Weighted Blanket covers are machine washable and dryable:
- Firstly, zip up the cover before machine washing.
- Wash in delicate/gentle cycle in warm water or cool water (30°C)
- Remember to wash your sheets separately because zippers, hooks, rough fabric like denim, can cause pilling and excess abrasion.
- As this is an entirely natural product, a small amount of pilling is normal, especially in response to friction.
- Bamboo Lyocell is a strong, resilient fabric that will last a long time if cared for correctly.
- For best drying results, tumble dry on low, if hanging to dry, do not use clothes pegs to hold up the Bamboo as they can damage the fabric.
- Bamboo Lyocell de-wrinkles itself naturally over time but should you need to accelerate this process iron on a light setting.
- Choose a natural or mild detergent, do not bleach.
Is there any scientific research on weighted blankets?
Yes, here are a few of the peer reviewed research articles we've found most informative: